Vitamin D3 Blog

Everything you need to know about Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol).

Vitamin D3 and Fibromyalgia

with 17 comments

Research dating back over the past few years appears to have identified a relationship between fibromyalgia and chronic pain and low levels of Vitamin D. Most notably, a study by the Mayo Clinic published in March of 2009 showed a direct relationship between Vitamin D deficient individuals and the relative amount of narcotic pain medication taken by those individuals.

This was the second study to be released by the Mayo Clinic, following-up on an earlier study published in November of 2008 that arrived at a similar conclusion.

One final study worthy of note is a 2009 study that appeared in the Journal of Pakistan Medical Association which showed that Vitamin D insufficiency is frequently seen in patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia and nonspecific musculoskeletal pain.

So is there a relationship between Vitamin D Deficiency and Fibromyalgia?

Before we can answer that question, we must first examine Fibromyalgia as it is defined by modern medicine. According to WebMD, Fibromyalgia is essentially a set of symptoms that when present together, imply the presence of a specific illness or the chance of developing that illness. In this case the illness is obviously Fibromyalgia.

With Fibromyalgia, the concurrent symptoms needed in order to merit a diagnosis are as follows:

• Anxiety and/or depression
  • A significantly decreased threshold for pain
  • Severe (or chronic) fatigue
  • Widespread, chronic pain

Vitamin D3 FibromyalgiaThe trending research seems to indicate a relationship between the presence of these symptoms, which are commonly diagnosed as Fibromyalgia Syndrome, and Vitamin D deficiency. There is some dissent over whether or not Vitamin D3 deficiency is a cause of Fibromyalgia syndrome, per se, or if one if frequently misdiagnosed as the other. To date, there has not been any conclusive scientific research that would settle this debate.

The study performed by the Mayo Clinic found that patients who required narcotic pain medication, and who also had inadequate levels of Vitamin D, were taking much higher doses of pain medication — nearly twice as much — as those who had adequate levels, indicating a relationship between low Vitamin D levels and severe pain.

“Vitamin D is known to promote both bone and muscle strength. Conversely, deficiency is an under-recognized source of diffuse pain and impaired neuromuscular functioning. By recognizing it, physicians can significantly improve their patients’ pain, function and quality of life,” said Michael Turner, MD, the lead author of the Mayo Clinic study. Dr. Turner continued to explain the significance of the study as it pertains to the impact the research will have on medical procedures used to identify the cause of, and treat chronic pain.

“Though preliminary, these results suggest that patients who suffer from chronic, diffuse pain and are on narcotics should consider getting their Vitamin D levels checked. Inadequate levels may play a role in creating or sustaining their pain,” says Dr. Turner. “Physicians who care for patients with chronic, diffuse pain that seems musculoskeletal — and involves many areas of tenderness to palpation — should strongly consider checking a Vitamin D level.”

So, while some grey area does still exist regarding the exact nature of the relationship between Vitamin D deficiency and chronic pain including Fibromyalgia pain, the general consensus seems to be that regardless of whether the phenomenon is a series of misdiagnoses or an actual preventive role of the nutrient in helping to stave off Fibromyalgia, people should make sure they’re getting enough Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) whether diagnosed with Fibromyalgia Syndrome or not, and doctors whose patients complain of chronic pain should order a blood test to check the Vitamin D levels of the patient experiencing the pain.

What this basically means is that medical science has in fact determined that a relationship between low Vitamin D levels and non-specific, chronic pain does exist (including pain from Fibromyalgia), but that the exact nature of the relationship has yet to be definitively established. That said, it is advisable for everyone – not just those already diagnosed with Fibromyalgia – to make a point of getting plenty of sunlight while taking a Vitamin D3 supplement regimen designed to maintain optimal levels of the nutrient in the blood.

The following is a video published by the Mayo Clinic explaining the results and significance of its study on low vitamin D levels and chronic pain:

Written by Admin

March 8th, 2011 at 8:16 pm

17 Responses to 'Vitamin D3 and Fibromyalgia'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Vitamin D3 and Fibromyalgia'.

1. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2008. I was also diagnosed with a lack of Vitamin D in my system. How can one get more vitamin D naturally? I live in a part of the US that is known for raining all the time, so sun is lacking. Even when I am taking high dasages of vitamin d, I test as having a severe lack of vitamin d. Is there some way to get more?

Raquel Di Fillipo

28 Dec 11 at 5:49 pm

2. Raquel, it’s all about the quality of the supplements being consumed. There was a great article appearing in NP Pam Egan’s blog last week about how to tell the difference between high quality and low quality supplements (those that are bioavailable/bioabsorbent supplements versus supplements that are not effectively absorbed and metabolized).

In any case, you’d probably be best off asking your doctor, nurse practitioner or certified nutritionist about your specific situation and acting on their advice.

admin

31 Dec 11 at 6:11 am

3. I was diagnosed with fibro in 1996. I was always in pain, running low grade fevers, and totally exhasted all day. Then in 2010, in a blood work up, I was found to have dangerously low vitamin D levels.I was put on 50,000 units a day and in short time, my levels became normal. I then went on Schiff Mega D3 5000 units per pill & take two everyday. I, overtime, have been feeling so much better. The pain has lessened and is only real bad when I really push myself. Fevers are gone. Also have more energy. I am so happy that I seemed to have found something to help me…finally! For me. D3 has definitely helped my fibro.

cher

18 Jan 12 at 1:52 pm

4. Cher,

Awesome! I’m delighted to learn that vitamin D3 was able to bring you some measure of relief.

Admin

19 Jan 12 at 10:39 pm

5. I have been diagnosed with fibro for about 6 months. Your body produces vitamin D after exposure to UV light. Most people get UV from sunlight. Many do not realize that you also produce vitamin D after laying in indoor tanning beds. Your body will produce all the vitamin D it needs with frequent exposure (your body will not produce any more or less than it needs which can happen with oral supplements). I lay in a tanning bed NOT for the tan but because I don’t get enough exposure to direct sunlight to produce vitamin D. I have celiac so I don’t stomach supplements well and I definately don’t absorb any meds or vitamins or minerals very well.

Cin

9 Mar 12 at 7:12 am

6. I never had a fibromyalgia in my life until I got zinc poisoning from a dental adhesive-loaded with zinc! After having a definitve,conclusive blood test indicating the zinc overload- i switched to a non zinc adhesive..Strange as it sounds the appears, the fibromyalgia, which was previously thought to be arthritis has intensified! I can only sleep for about 2 hours, when the leg pain subsides. After, I get up,,stand/sit-the leg pain subsides..I then try to get another 2 hours of sleep.Not the ideal way to get anights sleep! Current General Practicioner hasn’t a clue. I’ve practiced good nutrition for years..With no current, future remedies for something I attribute to the Zinc poisoning.,.quality of life is poor,,sad.

charles f carpenter

26 Mar 12 at 12:32 pm

7. Egan Medical has a sublingual (under-the-tongue drops) D3 supplement available through the company’s website. If your stomach can’t handle capsules, this might be an option worthy of looking into.

Admin

5 Apr 12 at 2:18 am

8. I’ve heard that vitamin D3 also can help with acne. Is that true?

how to get rid of spots

2 Aug 12 at 5:45 am

9. @How to get rid of spots,

Yes, this is true – at least to some extent.

Admin

16 Aug 12 at 6:24 am

10. Nice post which There is some dissent over whether or not Vitamin D3 deficiency is a cause of Fibromyalgia syndrome, per se, or if one if frequently misdiagnosed as the other. To date, there has not been any conclusive scientific research that would settle this debate. The study performed by the Mayo Clinic found that patients who required narcotic pain medication, and who also had inadequate levels of Vitamin D, were taking much higher doses of pain medication nearly twice as much as those who had adequate levels, indicating a relationship between low Vitamin D levels and severe pain. Thanks a lot for posting.

Cindy

29 Oct 12 at 8:16 am

11. I have to say that for the last couple of hours i have been hooked by the amazing posts on this website. Keep up the wonderful work.

Tracie Canela

26 Jan 13 at 7:41 am

12. Do you really think scientist know what they are doing when they do these genetic modifications? Do you believe it is the precise and methodical process they want us to believe? Do you really think they actually know all the possible consequences (intended and unintended,) from this completely unnatural process? Who do you trust, God or man? 1 likes

Adelina Mascroft

10 Feb 13 at 12:40 am

13. A plant that works well in fibromyalgia, a legume from Africa, the Griffonia gives remarkable results on muscle …

Brittany Dentiste

30 Mar 13 at 12:40 am

14. 5-HTP derived from Griffonia (5-hydroxytryptophan) or oxitriptan is the immediate precursor of sérotonine. Marche well in the forms of Fibromyalgia, it should not take antidepressants with Griffonia treatments.

Melanie Dental

8 Apr 13 at 11:29 am

15. Hi are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and set up my own. Do you require any html coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be really appreciated!

Freeman Aziz

9 Apr 13 at 10:05 pm

16. I was diagnosed by my neurologist with fibromyalgia about five years ago and prescribed Lyrica and pain medication. The pain increased over the years and at times I was barely to walk to the bathroom. Pain medication only took the harshest edge off. I was in pain 95% of the time. On occasion, I’d have a nearly painless day for some unknown reason. My internist suggested that I try D3. I hadn’t had a blood test but she threw that idea out there. I took 1000 IU for two months with no improvement. I then started taking 5,000 IU and in two days, I was nearly pain free. It was truly miraculous to me. I’ve continued to take it now for nearly 3 months and in that time, I have only had one bad day with body pain. I can’t wait to see my internist and give her the good news. Maybe I can stop taking Lyrica and Meloxicam now. Less medication will make us all very happy!

Susan Sladden

21 Apr 13 at 9:17 am

17. No coding knowledge is needed. Yes, the Vitamin D3 Blog is powered by the WordPress blogging platform. The best prices you’ll find on blog hosting which includes free WordPress one-click installation is at http://godotyourself.com/.

Admin