Vitamin D3 Blog

Everything you need to know about Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol).

Vitamin D Deficiency Linked to Myriad Diseases

with 49 comments

UPDATE: The list of diseases, illnesses and various other health maladies that have been scientifically linked to Vitamin D Deficiency now stands at 32. The updated version of the list is posted at the bottom of the article.

If you’ve been following the news at all for the past year, you’ve probably read that Vitamin D — Vitamin D3 specifically — helps boost the immune system.  You’ve probably also read that increasing volumes of research seem to indicate a relationship between Vitamin D Deficiency and various diseases.  What you may not have known is just how many different diseases and conditions are now being linked scientifically to deficient levels of this vital nutrient.

Before I go any further, I’d like to clarify the difference between Vitamin D3 and regular Vitamin D. Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) is the form of the vitamin manufactured within the human body from sunlight. It is the most active and bioavailable form of the nutrient, which translated to better absorption within the body. The alternative form of the vitamin is known as D2, or Ergocalciferol.

Over the past several years, the general consensus of experts has been rapidly shifting in the direction of declaring Vitamin D2 a nutrient unfit for supplement form. This is due in part to health experts such as Nurse Practitioner and Health Columnist Pam Egan, who dared to challenge the conventional wisdom regarding Vitamin D at a time when the term “Vitamin D3″ was largely unheard of. Mrs. Egan has been distinguishing between the two forms of the vitamin in her published writings for most of the past decade, including a couple of years at the beginning when her peers wrote off her claims as speculative.

While scanning news headlines recently, I was simply awed by the sheer number of stories about the establishment of scientific links between Vitamin D3 Deficiency and disease. In light of this experience, I have assembled a partial list of the seemingly endless diseases and conditions for which the nutritional shortcoming is a contributing factor.

In no particular order, the following is a partial list of some of the diseases and conditions caused in part by Vitamin D Deficiency.

Diseases and Conditions Linked to Vitamin D3 Deficiency:

1. Parkinson’s Disease - Two new studies suggest that older people who are deficient in Vitamin D may be more likely to develop the neurological disorder.  The first study was directed by Paul Knekt of the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare.  David Llewellyn of Italy’s Exeter University spearheaded the second study, which was published in the Archives of Internal Medicine. Source

2. Asthma - A new study conducted by the Harvard Medical School in Boston found that children low in Vitamin D3 were more likely to suffer an asthma attack requiring hospitalization than were children with healthy levels of the vitamin. Source

3. Chronic Pain - Two studies – one by Dr. Greg Plotnikoff, the other by the Mayo Clinic – appear to show a link between Vitamin D Deficiency and chronic pain. Source

4. Childhood Obesity - A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition suggests that Vitamin D deficient children are likely to have a higher Body Mass Index (BMI) than their better-nourished schoolmates. Source

5. Osteoporosis in Patients with IBD - A study by the American College of Gastroenterology indicates that Vitamin D deficient patients with IBD (Irritable Bowel Disease) are at a greater risk of developing osteoporosis, osteopenia and an overall higher rate of abnormal bone density. Source

6. Autoimmune Disorders - A study published in Genome Research indicates that people with insufficient Vitamin D are more susceptible to autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis, type 1 diabetes, and Crohn’s disease. Source

7. Arterial Stiffness – The Endocrine Society published a study this past summer linking Vitamin D Deficiency to arterial stiffness in black teens. Source

8. Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome – Researchers from Johns Hopkins University presented a study at the Endocrine Society’s annual meeting establishing a link between Vitamin D Deficiency and Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome, which is the medical precursor to diabetes. Source

9. Cancer, Heart Disease and More – The following study appearing in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition establishes the preventive benefits of Vitamin D3 with regard to various forms of cancer, heart disease and numerous others. Source

10. Rickets – This one has long-been established as fact by the medical and scientific communities, so I therefore feel no need to include specifics or cite sources.  The link has been firmly established and repeatedly confirmed.

11. Inflammation – A 2009 study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine confirmed a link between Vitamin D Deficiency in otherwise healthy women and increased inflammation. Source

12. Autism - There is an increasing body of evidence that Vitamin D Deficiency is a contributing factor to autism. Dr. John Cannell, a psychiatrist and prominent vitamin D advocate, says flagging levels of the vitamin in pregnant women and young children could be the elusive factor explaining the rising rate of autism. Source

13. ADHD - Recent studies from the past several years increasingly point to a relationship between low levels of Vitamin D3 and an aggravation/intensification of the symptoms of ADD and ADHD. Source

14. Influenza & Swine Flu - Research presented by John Cannell, MD of the Vitamin D Council showed that Vitamin D3 is protective against seasonal flu. Further research performed by Norris Glick, MD and Ellie Campbell, DO, showed that Vitamin D3 helps prevent H1N1 Flu. Further, Dr. John Cannell showed that Vitamin D3 deficiency activates the influenza virus (the Flu). Source: Vitamin D3 and Influenza

15. Fibromyalgia - A study published in the Journal of Pakistan Medical Association determined that Vitamin D3 deficiency is frequently seen in patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia and nonspecific musculoskeletal pain. Source

16. Hypertension & High Cholesterol - Evidence from numerous clinical and epidemiological studies have shown that increased dosages of Vitamin D3 can help lower blood pressure and cholesterol in patients deficient in the nutrient. Source

17. Depression - A scientific link between low Vitamin D3 levels and depression has been established following several recent studies confirming the relationship. According to one such study by scientists at Georgia State University: “The likelihood of having depression in persons with vitamin D deficiency is significantly higher compared to those with vitamin D sufficiency. Early diagnosis and intervention are paramount because coexistence of vitamin D deficiency and depression has serious negative consequences on health.” Source

18. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Vitamin D deficiency is closely associated with the chronic fatigue in patients with traumatic brain injury. Source

19. Tooth Decay - There is strong evidence indicating a relationship linking Vitamin D Deficiency to cavities and tooth decay. Dozens of studies were conducted in the 1930′s and 1940′s on this very subject. More than 90% of those studies concluded that supplementing children with vitamin D prevents cavities. Source

20. Lung Transplant Rejection - Vitamin D deficiency is associated with a significant increase in lung transplant rejection, according to research conducted at Loyola University Health System (LUHS). Source

Please keep in mind that this is only a partial list of the myriad of diseases and adverse conditions that are either caused in part by or aggravated by Vitamin D Deficiency, or that can largely be prevented with adequate sun exposure and/or supplemental intake.  Check back as I will be posting a follow-up article sometime in the near future listing even more diseases for which this nutritional shortage is a contributing factor.

Updated List of Diseases Linked to Vitamin D Deficiency:

• Tooth Loss
  • Gingivitis
  • Type 2 Diabetes
  • Arterial Stiffness
  • Metabolic Syndrome
  • Heart Disease
  • High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
  • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  • Lupus
  • Psoriatic Arthritis
  • Seasonal Affective Disorder

Written by Admin

January 23rd, 2011 at 9:22 pm

49 Responses to 'Vitamin D Deficiency Linked to Myriad Diseases'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Vitamin D Deficiency Linked to Myriad Diseases'.

1. I just found out last week that the level of vitamin D in my blood is 8. I am 42 years old and have suffered with depression most of my life and now I am wondering if it was a vitamin d deficiency all along. I have been diagnosed with a variety of mental illnesses but do better without medication. When I was on meds, I was in and out of the pschiactric ward because of suicidal tendencies. I just learned how to cope with it and I am the type that feeds off of other peoples happiness so I focus on that. I haven’t had a physical in years and I am scheduled for one the end of March. I went in for pre-physical bloodwork which is when the caught the vitamin d level. I honestly feel like I am losing my mind. I can’t concentrate on anything and have a hard time having a conversation without stopping many times to figure out what I am trying to say and finding the words to say it. I am also so tired and i hurt all the time. What I don’t understand is why. I drink more milk than a normal person. I eat eggs regularly. I am not obese and I am not a vegetarian. Why would my vitamin D level be almost non existant? I do live in Maine and because of my horrible depression, I am not outside as much as I should. I started working out a few weeks ago even though it is hard to get out of bed. I am spending as much time as I can outside. I just feel lousy. It is so hard because I have had alot of trauma in my life due to abuse. Now Iam in a wonderful and stable relationship with the nicest and most understanding man I have ever met. We live 3 hours away from each other and only see each other every few weeks. I feel bad because I tell him how happy I am but cry all the time and half of the time I just sit on the phone without finding anything to say because it is so hard to have a conversation when your mind is so jumbled up. Can anyone help me figure out why this is happening? I am on the verge of being suicidal during the happiest time in my life. I am scared.

shelley

1 Mar 11 at 6:52 pm

2. Shelley, my advice is to make an appointment with a physician and hand him or her a printed copy of your comment.

I do not feel as though I am qualified to be issuing contextually-specific medical advice, as I am not a doctor. However, I will pass along your comment to my mother Pamela, who is a nurse practitioner, and the person who first opened my eyes to the health miracle that is vitamin D3. I will email her response to you privately.

That said, I still think you should make an appointment with a doctor in your area.

3. This is a very good article about Vitamin D and its deficiency disorders. It is very useful for those suffering from such diseases and also for someone who is conscious about his/her health and Vitamin D. I came across some good article on Vitamin D and i hope it can be useful for you all..

Shashin Patel

31 May 11 at 4:43 pm

4. This article is Fantastic!!!

Kim

23 Jun 11 at 10:59 am

5. To SHELLY who wrote on March 11 at 6:52 p.m.:

When I read your article, I thought I was reading about myself. It would be nice to talk to someone who understands and knows what I’m feeling. No we’re not crazy. If you would like to start chatting, please feel free to send me an email at… kac610@yahoo.com.

Kim

23 Jun 11 at 11:08 am

6. Kim, thank you for the kind words! :-)

admin

24 Jun 11 at 4:54 pm

7. That’s A very Good Article On Vitamin D3 , today I Have Learned the Importance Of Sunlight In Our Body ….

Subhayan Biswas

9 Jul 11 at 10:33 am

8. Subhayan, thank you for the kind words. Sunlight is indeed extremely important for maintaining good overall health. Just don’t overdo it. Remember, all things in moderation.

admin

10 Jul 11 at 6:01 am

9. I am 40 years old and my condition came on suddenly. One day I woke up and could barely walk. I couldn’t stand up straight and shuffled my feet..feeling as if my hips were locked up. I have been to Neurologist and Neurosurgeons and a Chiropractor daily for 8 weeks. I am walking better but pain is daily. I do have herniated and bulging disc in my neck and lower back but the Dr. stated this should not cause me this much pain. I just saw a Rheumatologist who stated my Vitamin D level is a 26 (put me on 50,000 1x week and 2,000 Vit D daily), my TSH levels were elevated, and my white blood count is elevated. These doctors are in no hurry to diagnose me. It will be a month before I see the Endocronologist and 6 weeks before I return to see the Rheumatologist. I do not feel that I can work. It’s like waking up every day with the flu. I am getting very depressed. I am not crazy..I am in pain. I am on week 8 of constant pain every day. Can you please help me? Give me some advice or your opinion please?

Michelle Johnson

9 Sep 11 at 4:09 pm

10. good list. Vitamin D3 deficiency is linked to increased infertility/bad outcome in pregnancy risk too.

Jay

23 Oct 11 at 4:57 pm

11. Jay, Thank you for contributing to the conversation. Looks like I’m going to have to look into the matter further, and if confirmed, maybe even dedicate a new post to the subject.

admin

17 Nov 11 at 12:18 am

12. Michelle,

Thank you so much for your contribution to the discussion. I apologize for the delayed response, as my work schedule has kept me busier than usual and I haven’ t been able to update my blog and reply to comments as often as I would like.

Thanks again for contributing. I am really honored by all the reader feedback we’ve been receiving of late!

Peter

admin

17 Nov 11 at 12:28 am

13. I have been suffering from depression for several years now, and I always thought it was a consequence of me being emotional about moving to the US, adjusting to the new surroundings, neighborhood and so on and now I’ve been diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency and it seems that all of my anxiety has been caused by lack of this vitamin.I have been taking 50,000 UI for two months- taking two pills a week now and I never felt better. One more month to go:) and I’ll be sure that this was the actual problem, not me being “homesick”…
    Talk to you soon
    Adhira

14. I just wanted to throw my thoughts in…I am 27 almost 28 years old. I have been fighting a battle for a long stinking time now. I have been told I was bipolar, depression, anxiety (thats how it started) Then I started having pain all the time. I was always tired and always physically sick. I all of a sudden didnt want to do anything. I was miserable! It got progressively worse. My doctors were absolutely no help at all. Everyone thought I was a hypocrondriac. I knew I wasnt. I was an active young lady my whole life. Full of life and energy…Needless to say, things were getting worse for me and I finally found a great doctor. She found out I had a vitamin D deficiency. Okay, no problem…or so I thought! Back in April of this year I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. My body doesn’t like gluten. (wheat barley and rye and probably oats too) Anyway, it caused me not to absorb vitamins. Not just the D. But I do know without the D, your bodies will cause all kinds of madness for you. Its an essencial vitamin (hormone) that your body needs! If you live in Northern climates, you are likely to have a vitamin D deficiency due to the awesome lack of sunlight, If you have darker skin, you got the luck of the draw, you will probably have a vitamin deficiency. There are some people that have it for other reasons like myself I have a malabsorbtion autoimmune disease. But a vitamin D deficiency can be corrected. If you take your vitamins and you still are left deficient I recommend seeing a doctor so you can have further tests to find out why you arent getting the D you need. Other than that, Good luck to everyone and peace and blessings to you all. =)

Chukmasi

25 Nov 11 at 8:19 pm

15. hi!r ecently got to realise that im suffering from serious deficiency of our dear vit d 3.my level states 6.have been in pain in various body parts for years but alarmed now when my ears and neck got caught!saw a dozen docs with 2dozen tests..of no use but recently went to an angel who looked at my face and said to get my d3 level chkd and i realised i was anyday going to collapse!want to knw besides med shud i b taking booster d3 injections cause im though very strong willed have lost any more patience to tallerate any more pains at all.pls do help me.

bhavna

11 Dec 11 at 8:41 am

16. I am having a lot of pain I had my thyroid removed, a part hysterectomy, pain in my lower back stiffness in my hands, knees, pain in my left heel at the bottom which I was told I had a bones spur and now I have been told that my left knee is bone to bone and they want to do surgery. I could not understand why one day I was in so much pain I felt like I was dying. I then started asking about vitamin D and why it was so important to have in your body. I just called my doctor and asked him to put me in for a D-3 blood test called a 25[OH]D to fined out where my D & D3 levels are. I really think this is where the problem lies. I cut my had the other day and I tell you I was in so much pain from that cut and the stiffness started right away. My D2 I want to know where my Ergocalciferol levels are which this is a form of D2. Now here I am researching and came across your site with the same problems I am having. I went to the store yesterday and purchase Oscal 500 mg calcium and 600 IU D3 I take 2 of them a day and I also purchase D3 2000 IU that I take once a day. I must get rid of this PAIN it does not feel good to hurt like this every day. I stop putting all of my trust in doctors cause I found out that the doctors i’ve been seeing get their information from Web MD. “REALLY” and not one of them not even the emergency room doctors found the smarts to say lets do a 25[OH]D blood test to see where her D levels are. MY POINT STAND OUT. I had to research it for myself. So I am sooooooooooo very happy that I stopped and took notice to search for an answer and found you site. Again thank you I am on the job for sure now. I will get back with you on the test results when I get them. I hope my PCP does not ignore my request for the blood work. If he does I Will go over his head to the commanding officer we are retired military. Chat withhold later and have a great health day.

Ms. Val

14 Dec 11 at 8:38 am

17. Ms. Val,

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Upon reading your comments, I must reiterate that the majority of content on this site is intended for informational purposes only, and does not constitute medical advice. Granted, all of the articles posted here are reviewed by nutrition experts who are medical professionals, the information itself does not constitute advice, and we always encourage readers to speak with their own doctor or healthcare provider to discuss personal health issues.

My suggestion in response to your remark about doctors is that you may want to look into scheduling a visit with a nurse practitioner. NP’s are generally more inclined to focus on your overall health as opposed to strictly the symptoms for which you seek treatment. If there is a relationship between your nutritional intake and/or blood-saturation levels (or lack thereof) and pain or any other unpleasant condition, an NP is as good a bet as any to identify the underlying source of the problem rather than simply mask the symptoms.

In fact, the lady who first broke the story about the differences between D2 and D3, Pamela Egan, is a highly-trained NP who specialized in nutrition and anti-aging medicine. She is a contributing author and founding member of the Vitamin D3 Blog. In speaking with her about the differences between an NP and a MD, I can easily see how having an NP as your primary care practitioner has its advantages over seeing an MD for the same purpose. Don’t get me wrong, there are some very good doctors out there, but Western medicine is a bit reactionary in nature, and NP’s are not inundated with the endless peer pressure facing MD’s to adhere to the status quo in terms of approach and procedure when examining patients, making diagnoses and treating symptoms.

admin

21 Dec 11 at 8:11 pm

18. Bhavna,

My advice is to make an appointment with a doctor or nurse practitioner. The information on this website pertaining to vitamin D3 is strictly intended for informational purposes, and does not constitute medical advice in any capacity. If you’re not satisfied with the results doctors have produced for you, maybe a nurse practitioner could help identify the underlying source of your problems.

admin

21 Dec 11 at 8:13 pm

19. In reading your article, I was reading about me. Just got the call today that my bloodwork came back showing low vitamin d. Who would have known? Have never had any issues with my bloodwork in the past but here it is. Researching to find answers i hit on your article. Knowing I have no wand, I hope you are well and feeling so much better. Just knowing there’s someone else out there who knows what its like makes me feel some what better…but still scared to death. Have a great holiday and even better, feel better soon! Karen

Karen

22 Dec 11 at 3:31 pm

20. I am a vitamin D3 fanboy for several years, since I read an article by a Dr. Miller called “Vitamin D in a New Light.” Supplementing, particularly in fall and winter, have helped me avoid and shorten the number of colds I have had since then. Also, used to wake up with sore and stiff fingers. That was the first thing I noticed after I started supplementing – my fingers weren’t sore in the morning anymore.
    A couple of things I have learned in researching vitamin D3 is to take magnesium supplements along with it because that mineral is important to D3 functioning. Also, don’t take vitamin A because it interferes with D3. It uses some of the same receptors in your cells.
    A third thing to note, is with nervous system and mood issues, consider your B vitamin levels. There are foods and medications that block or deplete those. Doctors prescribing the meds may not tell you about it.

John

31 Dec 11 at 9:25 am

21. John, Thank you for sharing your knowledge on the subject with myself and all the many readers here at the Vitamin D3 Blog. I’d like to take the opportunity to reiterate that the Vitamin D3 Blog exists for informational purposes only and the contents of this website including that created by the contributing authors as well as commentators does not constitute medical advice. If you are in need of medical advice, please call your doctor or speak with another healthcare professional.

admin

31 Dec 11 at 11:10 am

22. My PCP just called me to inform me that my Vitamin D level is a 4. I am going to start on meds immediately for it, and she told me to get 30 mins of sun exposure 4 days per week. I follow up with her again in 3 months to recheck it. I hope that it does come up and stay up. I am worried, because my PCP also suspects that something autoimmune is going on with me, but it takes an avg. of 6 months to get in with a rheumatologist.

Priscilla

9 Jan 12 at 4:49 pm

23. hi,
    my sister is 30 years old.. she has pain since last 2 years( appx) . just now we realized that her vit d3 level is 26. will she be fine.. After reading all the comments, I am bit afraid. plz reply

- pooja

pooja jain

15 Jan 12 at 5:46 am

24. I hope this article helps someone who is suffering. I suffered through months of agonizing hell with symptoms such as: hotflashes, balance problems, blurred vision, breathlessness, heart palpatations, focus/memory problems, nail fungus’,uti symptoms(no infection) W/bloody urine and no cause found. Each time I went to doctors, from my gynocologist, urologist, neurologist, pulmonologists, ER Visits, my Primary Doctor, and any others I may have missed. I was diagnosed with Anxiety/Depression after their “Tests” ruled out any obvious cause for my symptoms. However, I was treated for each symptom individually. I failed to mention that I had what seemed to be an incurable sinus allergy that was treated with antibiotics, three different ones. I was placed on Premarin for severe hot flashes, Lisinopril to treat high blood pressure, Cymbalta for depression, Inhaler for breathlessness, etc… After several months of suffering I was almost convinced that I suffered from an “Anxiety/Stress/Depression” that I was unaware of, so of course all of this must be all in “my head”. But, I saw a program called “Mystery Diagnosis” that led me to diagnosing myself. I suffered from Vitamin D and B12 deficiency, though my doctor had checked my levels and found them to be sufficient. Though both were on the “lower range” normal, they still appeared normal according to the acceptable range. It affected every function of my body! There are more people living than are dying from the diseases that we suffer. Treatment will always be more rewarding to the medical community than preventative or curable measures. So as long as we, as a society, allow them to continue to “treat” our symptoms instead of demanding to know and treat the “cause”, there is only one winner here, and it’s not us.

Mel

17 Jan 12 at 1:41 pm

25. hey!admin…hv visited a dozen doctors also eating homeopathic med.am on calcirol powder and shelcal daily for last one month but it seems to show no relief at all!till the time pain relieving med lasts the pain is a little less and then again under my ears and cevere cramps in my calves!on visiting orthopaedic docs they say it will take time for my level to come up and for me to have any relief.recently a doctor also started me on thyroid medicine but i feel the same!i feel very low and irritated.pls advice if i need to go for further investigations!

bhavna

18 Jan 12 at 10:44 pm

26. Thanks a lot karen for ur precious words and concern! Its truely appreciated! I wish the same to u.

bhavna

18 Jan 12 at 10:59 pm

27. Bhavna,

I am NOT a doctor, and my opinions do NOT constitute medical advice. Please ask your doctor or healthcare provider any questions you have pertaining to your own personal health.

Admin

19 Jan 12 at 10:37 pm

28. Pooja Jain,

I wish the best for your sister, but I cannot issue a diagnosis, prognosis or any medical advice of any sort. Your sister needs to see a licensed physician or nurse practitioner.

Admin

19 Jan 12 at 10:42 pm

29. Priscilla,

My advice is to do whatever your doctor tells you.

I assume based on the waiting period that you must be based in England or Canada, correct? Perhaps you could look into traveling to the United States or Mexico for an appointment with a Rheumatologist.

Admin

19 Jan 12 at 10:48 pm

30. Hello! I read all your posts and I feel how all of you have felt past or present. I have been healthy for the most part of my life. I am 36 going on 80 (ok not really) but that’s how I feel. I have been diagnosed and “treated” for many years with bouts of severe depression and panic disorder. I have been on every anti-depressant ever created and they don’t help that much because I am still depressed. Then a new set of symptoms came over me in the form of tingling and numbness in random places of my body (not concurrently) but different extremities mostly at night during sleep. At first I thought my anxiety attacks took on a

Nisha

31 Jan 12 at 9:07 pm

31. cont….a new form but went to my GP and found out that my D3 and B12 vitamins were extremely low. This has made me feel like a crazy person and people think I am imaging things or freaking out and that it’s all in my head. I am taking B12 injections and 5000 IU supplements for 3 weeks now and still feel fatigued and depressed. The tingling and numbness has only increased. The MRI came back on my spine with nothing significant or revealing, but I have alot of muscle and back pain which comes and goes with each day. The doctors don’t know what it is and are moving me around to different doctors who can’t remember why I came there in the first place. I have a neurologist appointment this week and spent tons of money already. Does anybody have any suggestions on getting to the cause of my problem and not just treating my symptoms with anti anxiety psycotic drugs or steroid shots. I need and want a diagnosis andbfeelingbpretty discouraged. Thanks for reading if you read all of this and thanks for sharing your stories.

Nisha

31 Jan 12 at 9:19 pm

32. I am 60 y/o and just found out that my D3 level is 11. I have DM type II, hypertension, high cholesterol, fibromyalgia. I especially get pain in my calves. I also have Sjogren’s syndrome.

I used to spend a lot of time in the sun but not this past summer. I also used to eat a lot of eggs and drink milk, which I cut out almost completely about 1 year ago. I stopped eating salmon when the prices went up.

I find it very scary that none of my doctors (except my rheumatologist that I just started seeing last week) thought to check my D3 level. He wants me to take 2000 mg of D3 every day. We’ll see what happens.

Nancy

2 Feb 12 at 12:36 pm

33. I am very surprised that Insonmnia is not listed as a disorder associaed with Vitamin D3 deficiency. After 14 months of chronic insomnia, Vitamin D3 was the main deficiency. My measurement was 6ng/ml. Once I supplemented to increase it to 50 ng/ml along with supplementing magnesium and calcium; I began to sleep soundly. Additional information on this can be found at the Vitamin D Council website.

Vitamin D2 is what is being prescribed and it does not raise your levels very quickly. Liquid or softgel Vitamin D3 works faster. It helps with the absorption of calcium which is needed to stay asleep and the magnesium helps to fall asleep.

Likewise I am not a doctor; but I am surely an expert after 14 months of chronic insomnia!

Marilyn Kenoly

8 Feb 12 at 11:04 am

34. I have just found out i have Vit D deficiency level of 4. for the past 2 years i’ve been in constant back and bone pain. I have an old disc problem at L5 and am hypermobile so thought all the problems I was having were attributed to these two issues. I saw docs several times and they said it was muscle spasms in trapezeus muscle and prescribed me Valium as a muscle relaxant. I didnt take it. I also started getting vertigo around a similar time. An ENT specialist told me there was nothing wrong with my ears so might be related to my back problem. I’d mentioned to a nurse at the docs thatI often feel like I have sprained or twisted my joints without doing anything to the joints (walking or just waking up with new sprains). One doc suggested Chronic Fatigue syndrome. A physio in Dec thought I might have Hypermobile Syndrome and when I read up on this I found it often comes with Fybmromyalgia. I read the symptoms of this and it sounded like a lot of the symptoms I had. So being convinced of this myself I started looking at diets for anti inflammation and was just about to go on a strict elimmination diet. I then got the Vit D results and was amazed to find that I have virtually no Vit D in my body. I am asian and mainly vegetarian so at higher risk for Vit D but obviously was oblivious to this risk. I walk the kids to school and go to the park etc with them frequently and have always eaten dairy and chhese and actually started eating fish in the past two years so I am at a loss to understand why I have ended up with no Vit D in my body.
    A few months ago it was starting to depress me as I could even do housework or xmas shopping without being in agony for days. I was thinking we might have to move house as I couldnt keep up with the house maintenance like this and was unable to even go swimming which I need to do for my lower back problem. I cant believe it took seeing a rheumatologist to decide to get a vit D blood test to find out my problem after all this time. I suspect I’ve always had some sort of deficiency as i’ve had pain for yers on and off but the last 2 were ridiculous. I dont think many people understand what you are really going through as you look healthy enough and if you havent felt the pain yourself you cant possible imagine what its like. My husband I’m sure thought I was exaggerating my ailments as there are so many and so frequent, my friends I suspect think i’m a hypercondriac. I’m glad its finally been discovered although i am worried it may have caused long term damage somewhere, I’ve only have my first tablet today so I’m hoping things will start to improve soon.
    My symptoms have been, muscle pain (chronic all over my back) often moving from day to day where the pain is worst. Bone pain in spine and hip bones, carpel tunnel type tingling in hands in the morning. Aching body at night, enough to wake me up, muscle spasms and knots in back and neck. Head and neck and all over back is painful to the touch. Sprains in joints, causing pain to walk or move wrists, elbows, shoulders, knees, fingers. Some bouts of fatigue. Irritability? A new one is a bruised feeling on right side of torso, very painful to stretch.
    I would appreciate anyone’s similar experiences of their symptoms and what the medical professions attitude has been towards you.

Fiona

14 Mar 12 at 3:27 pm

35. Fione, thank you for sharing your experience. I’ve been extremely impressed with the library of information we’ve amassed here through readers sharing their own personal experiences with vitamin D deficiency. When I first started writing about the topic, I knew it helped prevent rickets, hypertension and there was some evidence suggesting it also helped prevent stroke. However, over the past five or six years the amount of new data is astounding, and perhaps none of it more objective than the wealth of information contributed to this site by people such as yourself.

To everyone who has contributed to the Vitamin D3 Blog, I sincerely thank you for helping to improve the collective understanding of the vital role this nutrient plays in ensuring good immune health and preventing what seems like every health malady under the sun.

Admin

5 Apr 12 at 2:12 am

36. Marilyn,

Give it a couple more years. The scientists are working around the clock trying to figure out whether or not there’s a disease or condition out there that ISN’T caused by or in some way related to vitamin D deficiency.

Admin

5 Apr 12 at 2:51 am

37. Nancy,

One way to know if your doctor is worth seeing is to take notice of whether or not he or she asks about your vitamin D levels during your first or second visit, regardless of whether they’re routine checkups or visits to specialists. With all the information that’s out there, I wouldn’t trust my health to a doctor that did not request I have blood work done for among other reasons to determine my vitamin D level.

Admin

5 Apr 12 at 2:54 am

38. hi, i have a same story like Fiona. my d3 level is 5.53. my deficiency in d3 vitamin has been detected two days back only. doc has asked me to take 4 d3 buster doses thro’ injection, d3 1000IU TABLET & OD TAB FOR NEXT 2 MONTHS. I wanted to see some doctor for my every day pain in neck and back. i have this problem from four years. i wanted to get rid of this pain. i think i can relate some following health problems with d3 dificiency that i actually gone through…..memory loss problem, pain in all kindd bones, i sleep at work place also i.e uncontrollable, head ache, usually whenever i have a day under sun…omitting and then hugh pain in the neck and back….takes place… i hope i could increase my d3 level….tell me what fruits or food intake i should go for to increase d3 lvel in my blood…..thank u

ravi

9 Apr 12 at 3:01 am

39. I just got my results back and i have really bad anxiety with panic attacks, I’m really scared to take my Vitamins because it is such a high dose 50,000 iu one time per week for 8 weeks. My levels we’re 14 but im scared the Pills are going to hurt me or give me a siezure or something, please tell me how it went for any of you who used the 50,000 iu’s and what the side effects we’re, also is there another form of treatment, this just seems like too much

Alyssa

16 Apr 12 at 6:38 pm

40. Please see the posts related to vitamin D3 sources.

Admin

3 Jun 12 at 5:52 am

41. Excellent article.. though you took the pain to write about 20 different issues that we may face because of the lack of vitamin d3. You missed one other thing, which is becoming very common among the cold countries. Eczema, is another thing that is related to both asthma and vitamin d3..

However hats off for putting all these things together

Alternative Medicine

11 Jun 12 at 1:30 pm

42. I honestly didn’t know that Parkinson disease was linked to vitamin d deficiency, I have tow relatives now that have Parkinson’s, maybe its worth getting a test done? Watching them now is heart breaking.

Suzy Pickhall

30 Jul 12 at 1:03 pm

43. Find the Vitamin D3 information interesting. What are the recommended levels of Vit. D3? Can it be over-dosed? Any side effects? How much should be taken daily? Any over-the-counter brands better than others? Is it better if they are contained in the dark bottles? I.U. dosage seems to vary widely? Is price a factor in quality?

Nancy

27 Nov 12 at 11:32 am

44. AmericanHealthJournal is seeking for content partnerships with blog owners in the medical genre. AHJ is a health care content site which owns a large library of high quality health care videos. We are looking for individuals to write guest articles to our brand. Come contact us at our contact form on our website.

Mellissa Meccia

21 Dec 12 at 1:12 pm

45. I would like to share with you that I’m pleased with it and my partner has realized my enhanced libido. I discovered that my motivation to lift weights is increased. In the last few years when I’ve been exercising, i was visiting the fitness club 2 times a week on average. Currently I find myself going 4 or 5 days consecutively, me and my wife are both delighted. Next step is to see if it really increased my testosterone levels. I will have them checked in few days.

L. Cabe

8 Feb 13 at 7:41 am

46. Wonderful news!

Vitamin D3 Blog

8 Feb 13 at 10:01 pm

47. My vitamin D levels were low last year and I have only just realized. I have been suffering from a ‘chronic fatigue symptoms’ for the past year and have treated myself with anti-fungals and a low carb diet. The diseases associated with low vitamin D levels are interesting as they are all mentioned in my yeast syndrome book. I too shouldn’t have low vitamin D levels, I am pale and spend time outside, i don’t use much sun screen. As I have read about systemic fungus, a disease not recognized by the medical profession, it causes malnutrition, therefore it begs the question is there an underlying cause of low vitamin D levels such as high levels of fungus that progresses on to cause various westernized diseases. The low carbohydrate diet, anti-fungals and many herbs have allowed me not to be on pain killers and anti-depressants and lead a normal life. I am not cured, but my illness is under control, allowing me to lead a normal life. Intersting!

Kerry

11 Jul 13 at 9:28 am

48. Thank you for this valuable information. I’ve been frustrated in trying to get doctors to check my sister’s vitamin D level. She was hospitalized with autoimmune hepatitis and in a coma, on ventilator and requiring dialysis. Received a liver in record time. However, I asked every resident, fellow, in every specialty to check her vitamin D level. Explaining how there are peer reviewed studies validating all liver and renal failure patients are deficient in vitamin D. In addition, vitamin D helps suppress inflammatory cytokines, which help prevent rejection. Finally, a pharmacist ordered the test, with her level being 9.7 and she is now on vitamin D3 50,000 IU every week. I printed studies and an entire page of URL’s to visit and read more studies about low vitamin D being responsible for so many diseases, placed the content in a manila envelope and left it with one of the doctors. As I was leaving from visiting hours being over, saw the envelope lying in a corner on the nurse’s station desk area, looked as if unopened. Studies have shown that babies/kids with frequent ear infections have low vitamin D. To think that if only the patient’s vitamin D level had been checked, and supplements prescribed the patient would have been saved the pain and sleepless night suffered from those ear infections. The surgery to place PE tubes wouldn’t be necessary. Babies/kids who are dying from RSV could possibly be saved if the doctors would check their vitamin D level and prescribe supplementation of vitamin D3. For the life of me, cannot understand why doctors are so resistant to reading the studies and checking their patient’s level. IMHO, it Borders on negligence.

Peggy Campbell

25 Jan 14 at 11:31 pm

49. To All
    All at once last Nov 2013 I collapsed with fatigue. My family assumed I had the flu. I have been extremely healthy in every way; it’s winter, yeah, so of course, it is a strange flu. Im writhing in pain for a month, so weak and so sad….my god…not feeling better. Most doctors I KNOW are not doing the resear h on Low Vit D. I thought I was flippin dying the intramuscular pain throughout my entire body…sadness and crying.
    Finally a smart Dr.ordered a blood test.
    Vitamn D at 17…ordered 50,000 IU per week. I bought D3 at the Health Food Store (Solaray brand is pretty clean).
    It took 2 months of pumping vit D to get up to 33 ng. I still feel horrible pain every single day. You almost need Hydrocodone to handle this depth and intensity of pain. I cry all the time–pain beyond comprehension. Who to cry to? To you whoever you are reading this. I send you gratitude and love because no one understands this (almost all docs are oblivious) how upsetting this pain is…Im better but after 4.5 months feeling like this every day I finally amflying to AZ to the Sun for 4 days–IF I HAVE THE ENERGY TO GET TO TO AIRPORT. ALL LOVE TO YOU WHO FEEL LIKE THIS.
    Thank you. Keep taking 5,000-10,000 D3 per day (a good brand ) and we shall prevail. Best Wishes!!

Bianca Vit D Low PAIN